Contemplating Retirement

Personally, I am real glad that I can still contemplate… anything!

Well we did the annual check in with the Financial Advisor (we pay him so much he gets capital letters), and he said, if you want a tax free home just bung it (the money I was going to put into lithium ETFs) into (my wife’s) pension. 6% tax free, very low risk. She’s retired, I’m not.

I’ve still got some play money for ETFs.

I don’t understand, and it could be I don’t understand your dialect, your tax laws, or both.

Are you going to pay into your wife’s pension to get a larger stipend? Like buying an annuity. I’m familiar with that, as I have that option on my company pension.

But how does that eliminate taxes on your home/property? Unless it’s a trade-off, the extra stipend offsets the taxes.

I think he means a tax-free home for his money, i.e. a place to put it.

1 Like

Oh, I took it too literally. :upside_down_face:

Retired June 2020 but with insurance running out went back to work. Two 401K gold-based funds have made around 50% since opening them. Since it’s back to Destroy the USA it may be time to get even more out of dollar-based assets. Also would not let go of any real estate. Giant firms are trying to grub up all of it to convert to rentals.

Been discussing it again with my workplace, and with the wife. She double-checked last night, and confirmed that our finance guy had set things up so that I could retire in January of this year…but I’m still having “fun” being an engineer…and need to train my replacement. So, maybe in a couple of years. Nice to know also that we had arranged things to assume that neither she nor I would be able to collect social security payments (assumed the worst, that it would be gone before we reached retirement age) so issues of when to start collecting SS are somewhat moot.

Aramis, I heard investors are buying up blocks of houses and waiting for the prices to increase before selling them.

1 Like

Blackrock I assume??

They are even buying blocks of new builds, not just pre-owned homes. I’ll dig around and see if I can find the original news article that mentioned that.

Me and my 3 siblings have had a 42 acre farm under contract with a developer since Jan. 2021. Permits and traffic studies are taking . . . f o r e v e r !

We are hopeful it closes sometime this year, but getting any kind of status, update or estimate of when closing may be just doesn’t happen no matter how much we needle them.

How do I point Blackrock to our property? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Dial 1-800-My House!

1 Like

swertel, they’re buying up new builds here, too. An acquaintance sells home appliances, which is my source. They’re buying up all of the appliances for the new builds they buy. Business is good right now. Maybe I should contemplate appliance sales. ;-)

1 Like

msquared48, not sure.

I am close to retirement age, and now and then I see job shop prospects. But what is it really like in a work from home environment? Not that I live in a real populous area, but in the power system world, any city with less than million people is not real populous.
So is it worth taking that leap?