Member Introductions / Origin of your Username

The name I normally use was taken, so I picked something that conveys a similar concept.
As a BSEE that has worked for OEM and end user companies, I have made a few minor sparks over the years.

1 Like

I just joined. I’ve been a long time ET member. As for my ID, it’s my name. While I post on some other forums anonymously, on ‘professional’ ones, I choose to do so in the open.

John

1 Like

Welcome John. Good to see you here, and look forward to your valued input!

I was always an employee, never self-employed. Many decades ago I decided I would try to make a bit of pocket money by developing and selling various bits & pieces of (mainly structural) engineering software, for which I wanted to set up a private family company. My wife had a similar urge (some pocket money through small private assignments), but worked in a totally different profession. So the name for the private company had to be profession-neutral. Her family name is Denham, mine is Niall. After a lot of headscratching we decided on fusing the two names: hence “DeNial” (complete with the camelcase to make it more obvious).

The further appeal of this name was its potential as a three-way pun. (1) The fusion of the family names. (2) The fact that in French “de Niall” translates as “from Niall”. (3) It hinted very indirectly that, while we might take all possible care in our work, if push came to shove we would “deny” responsibility.

The family company sank without trace at a very young age. When I joined Eng-Tips some time later I decided to resurrect the name.

An interesting topic and nice to know some of the stories behind the user names. The user names are so familiar that it rarely occurs to know the real one .

My name is my id and I belong to log tables era. I would know the log and anti log values of commonly used numbers ,without Referring to the log tables.Then I graduated to the slide rule. When the calculators arrived I was very nearly close to finishing my university education.

I am a foundry metallurgist by education and training. I have been working in the foundry industry for the past 37 years. Had a disastrous experience operating or managing my foundry business. Ended up in the severe red zone and had to sell the business for real estate value.
For the past 20 years I am in Lagos Nigeria making castings for a Greek family owned business.

Back in the days of CICS on the mainframe computer all personal files were mixed in with serious applications and it was really easy to create a train wreck on the computer. I was working computer security and we decided to put a “z” in front of a person’s 3 character initials (with lengthy rules for people with 2, 4, or more initials), and then two digits to differentiate. I was the fourth DAS on the list. It has been my userID, e-mail, handle, etc. for 40 years through two dozen different operating systems.

I’m a mechanical engineer in Oil & Gas. Retired from a Major in 2003 to start MuleShoe Engineering (named after an incredibly clever downhole accessory, not a town in Texas). My undergraduate degree was from the University of Arkansas (BS in Industrial Management) and my Masters in ME is from the University of Colorado.

GTAW - gas tungsten arc welding, not that I only do GTAW, but I already used GMAW for another forum I frequent.

Welding is my game. I started out by buying my first welding machine when I was 13 because you had to be a Senior in school before they would teach you to weld. I wouldn’t wait. As my dad said, “You’ve always been an independent little SOB and always interested in heavy metal.” He always thought I would become a scrap iron dealer so I could get my hands on old equipment.

I attended OSU’s welding engineering program until they closed the universities in Ohio after the Kent State shootings by the National Guard. I got a job erecting structural steel and completed an apprenticeship as a Union Ironworker and worked with the tools for the next twenty year. During that time I completed a degree in structural design, a BS in applied technology/welding, completed a MBA, and acquired Level III in five NDE methods through ASNT’s ACCP. I’ve been on my own since 1989 providing welding consulting and NDE services to clients around the USA. I’ve taught for the AWS as an adjunct instructor and currently I’m an adjunct instructor for ASME for something like the last 24-years. How time flies. Most people would have retired long ago, but I am having too much fun to hang up my spurs. With the Coron Virus rampaging the country, most the training I’ve been doing for the last several months is on-line. It’s not bad, I don’t have to leave the house and only have to dress up from the waist up!

Not the sort of thing I like to hear from a welder.

It does paint a picture doesn’t it.

Al

When weld splatter hits your eye
like a big plate Ti
That’s amoore999, eh?

2 Likes

Only dressing from the waist up, I wouldn’t be overly worried about splatter to the eyes.