Alzheimers Research

Many of us know somebody who has or had Alzheimer’s disease. I watched my father wither away over a 10 year period, not a pleasant journey.

So, it was interesting to listen to this podcast with my wife on a trip we took to the coast recently (our anniversary). Thought it might be of interest to others here:

There has been a lot of ongoing research on people, generated from the original discovery of the 40 Hz effect on mice. So far there is not a lot of published results on human trials, but the little that does exist is promising.

I’m in the process of building myself a couple of LED task lights, using a 555 timer to generate a 40 Hz flicker. Figured it can’t possibly hurt, and might help. If I get it working, hopefully later this week, will post plans somewhere on this site, probably in this forum unless somebody thinks it would be better elsewhere.

Happy anniversary! I hope you enjoyed your trip to the coast.

Mental deterioration is a horrible thing for anyone to experience. It’s hard on those around them, too.

Because of my health problems, I learned some about microbiology, physiology, nutrition, etc. My Lyme doctor said a low carb diet would work best and help reduce inflammation. I learned about digestion, hormones, etc. in my quest to understand “low carb.” I had never had to worry about any calories until I got the last tick bite. That was the game changer for me.

In learning about low carb, I landed on insulin resistance and how insulin is used in the body. I’ve known about it most of my life thanks to a T1D cousin, who died from it at a young age. I didn’t realize insulin is a growth hormone and too much of it is very damaging to the bodies of humans, rats, etc.

I was recently diagnosed with CIRS due to mold exposure and am being treated for that now. That, too, messes with your body and can lead to T2D. Because I had no melanocyte stimulating hormone, my gut was super leaky. Everything inflamed my small bowel except meat. My mold toxicity doctor put me on a low inflammatory and low mold diet. That has helped a great deal and my brain is gradually working better.

If you are interested, I would suggest listening to Dr. Dale Bredesen, MD, Ben Bikman, PhD, Ted Naiman, MD, Tim Noakes, MD, PhD, etc., Robert Lustig, MD, et al. I’ve read quite a few of their books to learn more and let things gel in my mind some. I ran across a lot of these over the years and Low Carb Down Under, Diet Doctor, etc. channels opened up even more.

Paul Saladino, MD is a fan of carnivore eating, which I basically had to do for a couple of months to get the inflammation down. He covers oxalate, salicylate, lectins, etc. and how inflammatory they are for the human body. He explained why avocados, brussels sprouts, okra, etc. made me sick.

Human health is vital and vitality is achieved, in part, through diet.

We humans have amazing complex systems inside us. A friend and colleague has the gene that makes cilantro taste like soap, for me it’s a delicious herb. I’m sorry to hear about all the health issues, Pamela, but glad to hear it seems you are making headway on them.

I did about 7 months of fairly strict keto (low to no carbs) diet, and lost a lot of the weight I’d gained over the last 40 some years. I still try and eat fairly low carbs, because I see my weight creep up when I don’t. A high meat diet is good for you? Sign me up! :) Feeling a lot more healthy now. But never had any issues with various foods, thankfully, other than how it adds pounds. Hmm…oxalates - I think spinach is one of those foods with a lot of it, it tastes horrible to me, raw or cooked. But other things with oxalates I like include beer, chocolate, coffee, berries. I guess if they started to bother me, I would switch to drinking only bourbon or scotch?

I forgot to mention I have not thought of 555 timers in decades. I used them a lot in college but never anywhere else.

There are some dreaded mold genes, which I lack. I have one that makes me susceptible but no further complications. IMHO, what I have is enough to make one pretty darn sick. Those that cannot detox are at a great disadvantage and really have loads of trouble getting well.

MSH, melanocyte stimulating hormone, controls the gaps between the tight junctions in your small bowel. They’re supposed to be very close together. The more MSH, the smaller those gaps are. The less MSH, the wider those gaps are. Food testing revealed a lot of IgG responses, which explained a lot. I had zero IgE responses. IgE are the true allergic responses. Since I had no MSH, my gaps were really wide and let larger particles through that don’t need to get beyond the intestinal wall. My immune system sees them as foreign invaders and attacks.

I’ve not eaten spinach, pineapple, etc. in years because they would tear my small bowel up. Now I understand why.

Unfortunately, alcohol can get moldy so it’s not in my diet plan for now. I don’t drink much but I do like it occasionally. I had just a bit of pinot noir, a birthday gift, last Friday evening. My brain was off all day Saturday. Nothing improved it but slowly letting my body detox it.

If you want to know more about protein vs. carbs, I’d listen to Ted Naiman, MD. He got a BSME then went to med school. He looks at everything as an engineer. He has 20 years of clinical experience and finally realized people have an energy toxicity problem. He kind of backed into it from a thermodynamics perspective. He began looking at food and how the body uses it as a protein:energy ratio. He published a book, with those ideas. It’s pretty easy to follow.

I definitely do better with more meat than plants.