Building Design - Definition of Percentage Complete

Typically for structural (mech/elec/arch as well) we make design submissions to the client at 30%, 60%, 90% and 100% completion, for review, coordination and comment. I am finding that we do not have a standardized definition internally for what constitutes 30%, 60%, etc… I know that there will always be some variation and interpretation for each milestone.

I am looking for any guidance or references where the typical requirements at each milestone are described in detail. My area of expertise is structural, but I am trying to pull this together for the other disciplines as well.

Percentage completion should be at the discretion of the design firm. Who else is aware of the progress of design? I have never seen a project which had so many “milestones” as you indicate and I would expect it varies considerably with project size.

Most of the US Army Corps of Engineers districts have a manual which defines this. There is some variation between the districts but they are in general agreement. Google something like USACE percent complete or USACE building design milestones and you should find several examples. New York and Savannah districts have good lists.

1 Like

I don’t know structural… but in aeronautical (and several other engineering disciplines such mechanical and electrical eng) there is a common design process that is tightly connected to a project management process. Connecting the “milestones” of a project management process to phases of the engineering/design process and with the schedule of payment intervals is usually used to some good effect where both the client and vendor have some control. It goes like this:

1. Contract Signing
  2. Scope Definition / Kickoff
  3. Preliminary Design Review
  4. Critical Design Review
  5. Prototype Testing / Design Validation
  6. Delivery / Closure

You can keep all of the steps or dispose of some as you (and the client) choose, depending on the project complexity. Some projects need more intervals than this, or to run multiple tracks with these milestones on each of them. You can attach milestone payments to some, all, or none of these, in agreement with your client, too.

I’ve oversimplified the whole thing. It’s too complicated to explain it all in a simple posting like this, but it should be enough information to give you an idea how other industries do it, and discover more if it’s of use to you.