Ch . . ch . . ch . . changes!

Can you try it now and let me know if it is fixed?

@Doug

The ā€œ+ New Topicā€ button is now working :+1:t2:

I still donā€™t see an option to create new tags though when creating a new post.

Edit: Would you rather I to restate the tag question in the site support area now that I am able or does it not matter at this point?

@SuperSalad @Doug
Below is a screen shot for me when I hit ā€œ+ New Topicā€:

And hereā€™s what I get when I click in the Optional Tags cell and type ā€œtag nameā€:

Does that help or what donā€™t you have?

@Latexman

I donā€™t have that Create: ā€œtag-nameā€ option on my screen. Mine still looks just like the screenshot from Post #15 I put up; only the "No Matches Found" appears when I type a currently non-existent tag.

What about others? Take a look and let me know.

Iā€™ll tell @Doug to look at this.

Yeah, I was wondering if others were having the same issues as me or if I were just being a PITA :dizzy_face:

@Doug
So I donā€™t know if this is overly basic, but this discussion about Discourse support of tags states:

From the link above, their answer:

By default only TL3 (or more) can create tags. To change this setting search for min trust to create tag in your admin panel.

So maybe is is as simple as the default for tag creation being set at level 3, which is adjustable through the admin panel?

What tags do you want to add? Let us know and weā€™ll add them. The system wants more experienced users to be able to add tags.

It isnā€™t anything specific really, but it isnā€™t a big deal either. I just wasnā€™t sure if I was supposed to be able to and I had seen @MSQUARED48 's question in that other thread, so I brought it up in case it needed correction.

As long as the ones who can create them actively do, Iā€™m sure the list will be populated well as time goes on.

1 Like

Weā€™ll create tags for you. No problem.

The requirement that users attain some experience before they can create tags is a learning for us all.

I would estimate (based on your past activity and my novice interpretation of the requirements) youā€™ll get there in 2-3 months time, then you wonā€™t have to ask anymore.

@laytexman: I asked before in another area what a tag was and how it was to be used but never received a response. Can I get an explanation or direction to find out please?

Right now, I would not recognize one if it was strangling me.

Sorry ā€¦ Latex, Latex, Latex.

No problem. You good now?

Still need to know about tags.

Itā€™s new to me too, but here goes. Tags are a free form method of categorization. Itā€™s up to the poster. For example, I may post in the category Chemical Process about beer. Other Engineers may post many places about beer. Pumping beer. Filtering beer. Materials of construction for beer. Drinking beer! If each is tagged beer there would be a common link between all these posts. I think it could be powerful. But everyone has to be disciplined. So, your mileage may vary.

Ok. Then what is the symbol I would punch to create a tag?

@MSQUARED48 Go up to post 22 and youā€™ll see how to do it. Give it a try. :wink:

I was waiting on the follow-up ā€œAnd what damn good are these tags to me?ā€

Well, in your profile under notifications, you can elect to be notified of all posts that are under categories or contains tags that you specify. Now that, is powerful!

So, if you can create and request notifications on tags that characterise your particular expertise and/or interests, you can sweep every post on the site with those tags your way.

TTBOMK, you could not do that on the old site.