COVID-19 USA Deaths

Thought this might be interesting to observe from CDC site…
26-Aug-20
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/COVID19/index.htm

I calculated C-19 deaths / All deaths and sorted in descending order by that percentage.

Data is only as good as collection and reporting, which varies widely. It’s only a broad approximation of actuality.

It pretty apparent, even though this is provisional CDC data that the trend for COVID-19 DEATHS compared to ALL C-19 DEATHS among our school aged population is statistically negligible.

Largely, the working age population represents 20% of C-19 DEATHS, but only 2% of ALL DEATHS.

This seems to represent the trend in my Texas county.

I happen to be in the 65 and over group. Although 80% of ALL C-19 DEATHS, only 7% of ALL DEATHS. My wife and I are healthy and not particularly worried about the dozen or so workers that have been in and out of our house over the past few weeks doing a renovation. We take precautions when shopping, but have no concern for younger people out and about sans masks.

https://data.cdc.gov/NCHS/Provisional-COVID-19-Death-Counts-by-Sex-Age-and-S/9bhg-hcku

I don’t believe the most concerning aspect of COVID-19 is its death rate, but rather it’s infectiousness and range of long-term effects (which are not remotely well understood yet).

Due to the rapid spread of the disease and cases spiking in the late June, early July timeframe in the US, we saw numerous regions with hospitals being overwhelmed or nearly overwhelmed. The healthcare system was stressed to capacity in multiple regions with the disease affecting only about 1% of the US population at the time. Given the rate of infection and those who require specialized medical care as a result, our healthcare system could easily be over-taxed, resulting in additional deaths not directly related to Covid but due to our healthcare system unable to accommodate emergencies, such as heart attacks, strokes, etc.

Additionally, and this observation is purely my own, this disease tends to have a wide range of effects and impacts on people - not much is known at this time about Covid in this regard. I’ve read accounts online of people my age (30s) who still suffer from long-term effects such as reduced lung capacity and chronic fatigue.

The name of the game really isn’t to stop the disease, as much as it is to keep the spread low enough for the healthcare system to keep up with. I intend to dodge it as long as I’m able due to the risk (however miniscule) that I’d win the “lottery” and end up with some lasting effect similar to those other healthy folks I’ve read about.

I also do my best to ensure I’m not an unwitting spreader of the disease; I’d rather not live the rest of my life with the regret of knowing I had recklessly given the disease to one of my parents or coworkers and it end up claiming their life. With them being in the “high risk” category, it’s not outside the realm of possibility. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t live in fear - but I do try to live conscious of the impact I can have on those around me.

2 Likes

KoachCSR, I think I had it in February as do some of my friends. Some still have some nagging problems from it, whatever it was. It was brutal and something I don’t want again.

I’m glad you’re taking precautions for the reasons you stated.