Design of Fastening Plate

@KootK Rail_Support_01.pdf (16.7 KB) @Ron Does anyone have an easy method of analysing the attached connection detail? It’s for a guardrail post with a load of 225 lbs applied at the top. I’m hoping there is an easy way.

Dik

@dik…one thought…Moment creates torsion in plate and torsion becomes shear through the first fastener from the post. Shear is the tension in the fastener. Back check with force couple from moment and the fastener line.

Thanks that was one approach I’d tried… I also looked at the moment component about an angle, considering the two bolts as being relatively rigid and the post moment bending the base. I was wondering if anyone had a prefabbed solution. This condition should occur often enough that there should be a canned solution.

Dik

Eccentric base plates with torsion are not that common. I occasionally see them with offset posts but in line with the loading

@Ron I wear a T-shirt that advertises for ‘interesting’ projects… or, so it would seem. I just didn’t have a quick and easy way to analyse this.

Dik

@KootK @Ron Thanks KootK… I agree on the use of the bolts. Without the second one, it would be easier to design… it would just rotate. I’m looking at it from yield lines, right now…similar to the attached.
Rail_Support_02.pdf (22.2 KB)
Dik

In my sketched arrangement, you could also make a pretty good argument for a fixed end cantilever model if the top of the post is restrained laterally in the direction parallel to the bolt line.

It’s the twisting… the point load is applied 42" up… that’s where the problem is… I’ll model it using yield line in SMath so I can change the yield lines easily… I was hoping that there was a canned solution… maybe limiting the length of the yield lines to the width of the BAR and see if that works.

On a positive side, if I use a thick enough BAR, then I won’t have to worry about prying action.

Dik

My model handles the twisting and converts it into easy to handle flexure. Just sayin…

Yup… thanks.

Dik

@dik…doesn’t your yield line run to the center of the bolt and stop there?

Maybe through the bolt hole…

Dik