Since most clients choose glass walls to be installed for residential house, what are the remedies (structural design) to resist lateral forces?
Use the glass structurally! See image below of a project we did about 10 years ago with the glass holding up the roof. Shown during construction so you can see the connections etc…
A few points:
- glass is infinitely strong in compression
- structural silicone between panels makes the panels work together in plane as a pretty effective shear wall
- there was another concrete shear wall out of the shot.
- project was in Santa FE, NM
- it was laminated glass and had other layers of redundancy built into the concept.
See below for another glass wall building - with glass beams and a glass roof also. We completed in Times Square NYC in 2008:
Above is a snippet.