Partition Loading

Thought this might be interesting; part of an eMail sent to an engineer in China. This is applicable to Canadian codes. The files cannot be attached.

============== + ==============
Sorry… I’ll try to be clear. Under Part 9 for single family residential, partition loading is not required, for multi-family and multi-unit structures, a partition load is required. This partition load can be 20 psf for movable partitions or less for fixed partitions. I usually use about 5 psf. I’ve attached an SMath program showing the calculation. [Calculates an equivalent psf loading for partition construction, thickness, and spacing x, and y]

Your CFS buildings are Part 4 and also have to include a partition load. This can be 20 psf or less as noted above. It will make little difference with small buildings. When you are multi-storey (20 or 30 storeys, the partition loads add significantly). I’ve also attached my loadings for my project notes; these are part of my Project Notes and are inserted into model space because I have to adjust the spacing of the notes to leave a gap and the loadings change with each project. Loads are edited to suit. [A cad table file that stipulates loading, The table is used to line up columns].

I typically use 5 psf for partitions and 10 for MECS (mech, electrical, ceilings, sprinklers and insulation). This results in a DL of 15 psf for fixed partitions and 30 psf for moveable partitions.
============== + ==============
[Not part of eMail]

I think the 20 psf partition requirement is a carry over from the days when they used clay tile partitions. Partition loading is noted twice in my Project Notes:

PARTITIONS SHALL BE FIXED AND PARTITION LOADING IS PREDICATED ON ACTUAL PARTITION LAYOUT SHOWN. ENGINEERING REVIEW REQUIRED TO MODIFY PARTITION LAYOUT

PARTITION LOADS
STIPULATED 20 PSF PARTITION LOADING ALLOWANCE HAS BEEN EXCLUDED U/N. PARTITIONS SHOWN ARE FIXED LOCATIONS AND ALLOWANCE FOR LOADING IS INCLUDED IN THE DESIGN. POSITION AND CONSTRUCTION SHALL NOT BE REVISED EXCEPT BY A QUALIFIED ENGINEER

Dik