Pipe Shield to Prevent Burns from Uninsulated Pipe

QUESTION
On my heat exchanger project, I will have some length of condensate piping that should not be insulated in order to prevent subcooling of condensate before steam trap. However, I want to install a personnel safety shield around the pipe to prevent personnel from burning themselves on very hot piping. I’ve seen what I’m talking about before—basically, a perforated or mesh sort of curved sheet metal that is clamped on to and surrounds a pipe an inch or so from its surface. However, I’m not sure what it’s called or who would sell it. I understand this forum isn’t for promoting products although if someone can point me in the right direction, I’d appreciate it.

REPLIES

KvdW
Perforated plate personal protection works for me in an outdoor application for piping with process temperature of 150 °C. The perforated plate has supporting rings (0.5 to 1 m apart) which are on small strip legs attached to the process pipe. The conduction through these small strips is clearly outweighted by the large surface of perforated plate in the outdoor air.

The pipes on the picture below are DN250. The same protection is used on lines DN400 and DN600. In all cases, the distance between pipe wall and perforated plate is only a few centimeters.

SOURCE
https://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=353675
Above is a snippet.