Protection of galvanized parts welded later

SOURCE
https://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=246758
The above URL contains the entire discussion. Below is a snippet.

QUESTION
This is a standard problem and there is probably a solution somewhere

You have hot dipped galvanized a part and shipped it. It is then supposed to be welded to another hot-dipped galvanized part.

The welding messes up the protective coating specified.

How do you go around this problem? Do zinc based metallic looking paints do the job?

REPLIES

HgTX
Galvanized coating should be removed before welding.

For repair to the coating, there are three options I can think of, in what I think is descending order of cost. You get what you pay for.

1. Metallizing
  2. Solder rods
  3. Paint (“cold galvanizing”).

With the paint, you want to make sure that it will provide a dry film with minimum 94% zinc content. Beware–often you will find a zinc % on the can that is not the zinc content of the paint but rather the purity of the zinc dust ingredient. (Kind of like “contains 100% pure aloe vera!” where aloe vera is only the 3rd ingredient in the goo.)

From my Project Notes:

WELDING GALVANISED MATERIAL

CONTRACTOR SHALL PROVIDE A WRITTEN WELDING PROCEDURE FOR WELDING GALVANISED MATERIAL WHICH SHALL BE REVIEWED BY THE [OWNER | CONSULTANT | ENGINEER]

REMOVE GALVANISING FROM WELD AREA BY GRINDING

BURN OFF ALL REMAINING ZINC FROM THE WELD AREA BY TORCH

WORK SHALL BE DONE IN ACCORD WITH AWS RECOMMENDATION WZC

REMOVE ALL GALVANIZING FROM AREAS TO BE WELDED, TOP AND BOT AS REQ’D, TO PROVIDE 1" MIN BASE METAL AROUND ALL WELDS. CLEAN FINISHED WELD AND TOUCH UP WITH TWO COATS OF ZINC RICH PRIMER. PRIMER SHALL OVERLAP EXIST GALVANISING BY 1/2" MIN

There’s a note elsewhere outlining the hazards of zinc fumes…

Dik