Question on Laptop Configuration

QUESTION
My work computer is being upgraded and listed below is what I am being offered. I have been asked for input (immediately) and am wondering if anyone sees something here that either would be a good fit or if something can be approved upon. At this point we are running SW 2014 SP5 and are scheduled to jump up to SW 2017.

Advanced Processing/Graphics Laptop: Dell XPS 9560, i7-7700HQ Quad Core, 32GB RAM, 512GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce® GTX 1050, Dual 27” Monitors, TB-16 docking station, 1 Display Port to VGA adapter.

Any input on this is appreciated.

REPLIES

GRF
The XPS is not a workstation laptop. I would see if you could get a different graphics card. Not sure if the GTX1050 supports OPENGL of not since it is a gaming card.

SOURCE
https://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=435523
Above is a snippet.

I know it’s too late to help out, but you need to look at the SW website for help on setting up hardware. Not just any hardware will work. The video card is especially important. I have seen gaming cards work, but they are not recommended at all. If they do happen to work it’s not the card it’s the driver, which can be equally important. But you will not get any advantages using a gaming card like you would with a certified card.

About 2 months ago I set up a laptop from dell. I selected the Dell 7750 (17" Monitor). i9 processor, 64GB Ram, Nvidia Quadro RTX 3000 w/6GB GDDR6, and three 27" monitors, plus several other items. The laptop at the time cost $3600, it was on sale, normally it was close to 7K. It’s a rock star after I removed all the Dell crap off of it and turned off the intel card in the bios.

For any future laptop, purchases check out the site, because the hardware is always changing as SW is released it just becomes more and more demanding.

Good luck, hope what you have now is working for you.
Scott

1 Like