Seasonal Allergies 🥴

Oooof :woozy_face:

This weekend must’ve been the pollen-ocolypse here in NJ. Everything is dusted yellow this morning. This isn’t the worst I’ve ever had it but it is easily the 2nd worst springtime allergy wallop I’ve received. My seasonal allergies have never been consistent where I will be knocked to the floor one year and have absolutely no effect the next year or maybe two years.

Anyone have any tips beyond taking OTC Allegra, Claritin, etc.?

I use antihistamine eye drops. For me, they work better than any pill.

1 Like

I use Zyrtec. I get the brand name ones at Costco at a pretty good discount. I’ve tried the super cheap, generic Cetirizine. They work somewhat, but not as good as the brand name ones. I like Zyrtec because it does not make me drowsy, and I don’t woozily zone in and out when I’m not working or thinking hard.

1 Like

It was suggested by an allergist to change each year. I don’t do that, but that’s me.

1 Like

My eyes are totally fine. My kids have off-and-on eye effects from seasonal pollen, but I’ve only had my eyes effected one year that I can remember. This year it is all sinuses and nasal. My sinus under my right eye has been feeling explosive since yesterday afternoon even with antihistamines.

And the sinus discomfort is leading to headaches and just general woozy, out-of-it-ness.

It’s less about eye irritation and more about how the antihistamine is administered to the body through the eye instead of the stomach.

1 Like

Oh, I see. I didn’t even realize that was a thing! I thought you meant a general eye drop for eye irritants and I completely read over the “antihistamine” in your post. I’ll need to look into that.

It’s been a wet spring here in the PNW - we still are getting snow in the mountains, and rainfall nearly every day. The result is a lot of pollen coating the cars and roads, but very little in the air. Horrible for the fruit tree farmers, but nice for us snifflers.

You can also get nasal antihistamines (called Nazonex in Oz).

1 Like

So I went and grabbed some antihistamine eye drops after work yesterday and I gotta say, thanks :+1:

I wouldn’t’ go as far to say I feel like a million bucks, but I’d say a good buck-fifty this morning which is vastly improved.

@GregLocock I think the nasal might be my next venture. I was reluctant to go that route because I’d imagine using that on my young kids would be a…difficult operation compared to eye drops if they needed something.

1 Like

Eye drops are not for everyone. For those that have worn contacts, eye drops are easy. For many who have not, they can’t seem to find there eye.

Military-grade gas masks can be had from some surplus places, some with two-digit $ pricing. Might be alarming if seen in public but they must be able to sift out pollen.

I don’t know if this is relevant but I take Zyrtec and Zaditor in the Spring and late Summer for ragweeds, corn pollen, and Marsh Elder.

It’s so bad sometimes I have to take 10 mg of Zyrtec morning and night plus Zaditor. If I don’t, sneezing and watery, itchy eyes are constant companions. It is pure misery.

I also have to watch how much glutamate I consume because that causes explosive pressure behind both eyes and a host of other ill feelings. I’m not as sensitive to it now but I do my best to not consume it. I’ve seen estimates in research papers stating about 25% of the population is sensitive to it.

I guess I should count myself as lucky, as all I get is sinus pressure. But very hot sauce helps. But having lost weight in the past couple of years has helped as the problems are reduced.
Still i take Claretian knockoff, and a nasal spray sometimes.

1 Like

Congratulations on the weight loss, boring108. That usually solves a lot of health problems. Anyone without allergy problems is lucky, in my experience.

My seasonal allergies vary widely year to year. Some years I cannot survive without a Zertec (24 hr) a day for months, and other years I am just not affected by the many pollens at all. It’s puzzling, so I stay ready with a bottle of Zertec in my medicine cabinet at all times. Sometimes I use them up and sometimes I have to throw them out because they expire. :man_shrugging:t3:

2023 has been a good year. We’ve had a very high rainfall all year, so maybe that is helping me, but my kids, two of them specifically have been getting hammered on and off. My youngest in the spring and the middle one during this summer season. The eye drops have been working wonders though. I am so appreciative to @swertel for putting me on to those. I prefer them so much over the oral medications, for myself and the kids.

1 Like

Latexman, mine are somewhat like yours. But harvesting and plowing season are pretty much givens now.

My allergies are in full “bloom” again and I had to take a full Zyrtec to control them. My eyes still itch, though. I have to run to Walmart to get more today.

I think I had ragweed growing in my yard. Makes me want to cry.

I feel wiped out today. Didn’t even meet my friends for a bike ride yesterday evening. I hope this isn’t going to be a trend.

Had to get retested recently. More allergies and some are very bad. Looks like shots are in my future again.