Simple motor/gearbox question?

Hello my much smarter than myself friends.

Is there a simple name for the configuration of motor & gearbox where the electric motor sits on top of the gearbox and outputs in the opposite direction like on this pump?

I’m just trying to figure out what to call this motor/gearbox configuration. I know linear/parallel and right angle gearboxes, so would this be 180° drive maybe? I assume it could be gear driven, but are these configurations only ever pully or chain driven?

I’m not finding anything through Google, but I’m guessing I’m probably just not finding quite the right keywords.

I’ve heard it called a Reeves drive, and a SEW Eurodrive, but I think that’s a throwback to the manufacturers. They both use a variable speed transmission. It might be a 180 degree drive. It’s definately not Chemineers 90 degree drive. That’s all I got.

P.S. - Oh yeah, I’ve also heard it called a “varidrive”.

1 Like


A right angle gearbox is a worm or bevel drive in which the motor is attached at 90°. What you have is a belt or chain drive between the motor and gearbox. Do you need a fancy term for it?

1 Like

No I don’t need a fancy term, I was just wondering if there was a specific name for it so I could just specify it by that name instead of trying to explain it to the supplier through pictures, and physical descriptions.

Like how when you say “right angle drive”, everyone knows you mean a gearbox that transmits power at 90° to the input shaft without needing a lengthy description of positioning and placement.

That is a proprietary variable speed gearbox that has been around for about 100 years. Just call it a Reeves drive and you have fully described it.