Simpli Podcast Club

Not a podcast, but I enjoy listening to the original series of “The Shadow”. About 200 shows ran from 1937 to 1951. The advertisements back then are interesting too. “Blue Coal”, America’s Finest Anthracite.

I remember my Dad telling me about “The Shadow” when I was a kid. The Shadow was one of the first true superheroes. I also remember the 1994 movie starring Alec Baldwin. Not highly rated, but I still saw it. So, I’ve been groomed all my life to be a fan of The Shadow.

Yes, the audio is terrible, but the historical significance is fantastic!

What do y’all listen to?

1 Like

Have listened to a few episodes of “The Shadow” on radios that I’ve restored like this 11 vacuum tube 1937 Continental AM7:

Mostly listen to classical music.

We have a (legal) low-power AM transmitter that accepts steaming computer input. Transmitter’s range is about 50 feet.

2 Likes

That is a really nice looking radio! Great job!

Besides listening to my library of classic rock and '70’s - 90’s hits on Spotify (free version), I also like listening to Mike Rowe’s podcast, "The Way I Heard It . . . " and Black Barrel Media’s podcast “Legends of the Old West”.

I tend to listen to these shows and podcasts after watching TV with the wife and before bedtime. I find it quiets my mind, especially after a technically challenging problem/day.

Before I subscribed to Audible, I listened to podcasts a lot.
BBC and NPR make a lot of good science, technology, and business programs.

On NPR, look for “How I built that” and start at the beginning. You can find Dell, Compaq, Southwest Airlines, Burton Snowboards and others - all fascinating stories form the founders themselves.

Another called “Revisionist History” is interesting but be warned: it’s meant to show an alternate point of view on issues you may have already settled your opinions on one side or another.

Quanta magazine is worth trying, if you like your science very pure and abstract.
I have tried a few others that vary more widely in interest per program.

A good way to celebrate Hallowe’en is to dust off a recording of Orson Welles’ radio broadcast of H.G. Wells’ The War of the Worlds. It amazes me how I really get into it, every time.

Getting ahead of myself… for Christmas, look for “The Shepherd”, by Frederick Forsyth, and read by Alan Maitland. The CBC still gets high ratings from The Shepherd even after replaying it for decades.

Recordings of both of these are easily found on the internet. Youtube is probably the easiest, but maybe CBS still does something special at Hallowe’en.