Slab on Grade with Point Load at the Edge

Does anyone have a handy formula for concrete stresses in a SOG with a point load at the edge? Input information would be the Load, the area or dimensions, the soil k value, the slab thickness, a safety factor or LRFD info, and the concrete strength.

Thanks, in advance…

Dik

@dik I just use the ACI Slab on Grade document. It has equations for that condition. If I recall correctly they are not a function of overall slab dimension though. Point load away from edge, point load near edge but away from corner, and point load at a corner are the conditions they address I believe.

Do you have a reference name to the document? I’ll see if I can dig up a copy…

thanks

Dik

@dik Yes. ACI 360R-06 Design of Slabs on Ground. The equations are pretty much the same as the Roark’s plates equations for point loads on plates on elastic foundations. I tried taking a screenshot of the relevant pages.

1 Like

Thanks so much…

Dik

You are welcome. Hope it helps.

Found a copy… good publication.

Dik

The equation 6-2 looked curious, with its exponent of “0.6”.
That’s either empirically determined, or worked out with a pretty complicated analytical process.

Roark would put an interesting twist in your report:

1 Like

Thanks…

Dik

This reply is probably too late to help you, but I joined this site only today. A few years ago I developed a spreadsheet that exactly solves the analysis problem you pose: the stresses and deflections imposed by a loaded area in the vicinity of the edge of a semi-infinite slab on an elastic foundation. You can download it from my web site, http://rmniall.com

1 Like

Thanks… will take a gander.

Dik

@Dik: Just don’t get goosed! :joy:

Heheheheeehhe