The 10 Greatest Engineers of All Time

SOURCE

Please click through to the source link to read the entire article, and comments on each of the “10 Greatest Engineers of All Time”.

Do you notice anyone missing? Does Elon Musk belong on this list? Where is team Claude Shannon when he needed them? :)

1. Nikola Tesla

2. Thomas Edison

3. Henry Ford

4. Archimedes

5. Nikolaus Otto

6. Leonardo Da Vinci

7. Wilber and Orville Wright

8. Alexander Graham Bell

9. George Stephenson

10. Elon Musk

I’d probably remove Edison, Ford, Wright, Bell, Stephenson, and Musk and add Clerk Maxwell, and Diesel.

Dik

1 Like

Why Vin Diesel? :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

What about Roebling :foggy:, and Levi Strauss (:jeans:) ?

Oppenheimer?

Max Plank?

2 Likes

Alan Blumlein?

1 Like

Von Braun, Korolev

1 Like

Brunel?

2 Likes

I don’t know about greatest, but James Watt should at least get an honorable mention, for influence alone if nothing else.

Inventing is flashy, sure. :star_struck:

Fixing flaws, reducing inefficiency, making an impractical design practical; those areas are where engineers prove their mettle. :metal:t4:

1 Like

Welcome to the menage (that’s menagerie)…

Dik

Neils Bohr?

1 Like

and Og… the guy that invented the wheel?

Dik

1 Like

Fortescue. Steinmetz.

1 Like

Oh you mean this fella?

2 Likes

That’s Og

Dik

I can support most names on the list but I’m torn about Musk.
I would rather see Niel Armstrong on the list than Musk. Neil’s place in history is solid and the record of his technical accomplishments is very long.

Didn’t he Invent the Musk Ox?

1 Like

Noah Zark.

Karl Terzaghi

1 Like

His classic foundation failure model was published shortly before the grain elevator failure in Transcona, Manitoba. The elevator failure was classic.

Those in the know in Russia likely understand that Winnipeg is slightly west of Transcona.

Dik

1 Like

Goes good with climate change.

Dik

I’d recommend Terzhaghi for the list. Having studied soil mechanics I am endlessly amazed that someone could make a predictable science out of it. And to have done it out of almost nothing.

Musk is certainly a visionary but I can’t see him as a top 10 engineer. Is he even an engineer?