Valve to stop continued gravity flow when pump is off?

Use a back-pressure valve right at the pump discharge; it will open promptly when the pump starts, and close smoothly as the pump coasts to a stop.

For those who don’t know, a back-pressure valve is one operated by the discharge pressure of the pump itself [visualize a pressure reducing valve, but with the diaphragm pilot line connected to the upstream side of the valve instead of the downstream side, and that opens the valve on increasing pressure instead of decreasing pressure]. If properly calibrated such that with the pump at rest the valve is fully closed, no gravity-flow will occur when the pump isn’t running.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll look into that.

By the way, I finally got around to installing this back pressure valve like you suggested and it is exactly what I wanted. Thanks so much for the assistance :+1: :+1: :+1:

My pleasure! Were the end costs moderate?

Nothing too crazy. It was a little over $1000 for the valve because of the somewhat large pipe diameter. When I first started looking, I thought “Oh this wont’ be expensive at all”, not initially realizing the price just about doubles for every 1/2 inch diameter increase and the list started at 1/2" inlets.