What's the Most You've Spent at the Veterinarian (on your pet, not yourself )

Yes. Not even antibiotic - just antiseptic soap! They’d realised that at as long as they put it in a very small brown bottle and stuck a prescription label on it, they could charge what they liked.

1 Like

Washed it well, put tape across the gash to hold the cut together, and put sutures between the tape. Half an hour later it was almost good as new. Hospital was a 4 hour drive out of the bush and another 4 hours back.

No infection, but, the scar was more pronounced. Only surprise was that I’d never put in sutures and was surprised how ‘stretchy’ the skin was.

Dik

@Dik, your news on grain-free dog food is very timely. Sam, our rescue chihuahua we got while living in Texas, was diagnosed with allergies by SWMBO about a week ago and put on a grain-free brand to see cause and effect. I always thought he loved rolling on the grass in the sun to scratch his back. But, what do I know. Sam was at the vets Friday when they discussed Sam’s change in food. The vet informed about the FDA investigation and told her to put him back on his old food. He already has a heart murmur, so we switched him back next day. Thanks!

Didn’t know myself, but, thought it was timely. We’ve always fed our pups with regular table food.

Dik

Not the biggest bill but $500 for the vet to tell me that my $100 horse was going to die was the most disappointing.

In the disappointing category, $130 for the (alleged) vet to tell me “I guess she just doesn’t feel good” regarding my cat.

In one-shot: $1300 for a mast-cell tumor removal. However, if you consider the necessary bloodwork, initial consult, biopsy testing, etc. the bill came out to about $2000. He recovered after Month 1 and then was like a little pup for another two months. The tumor popped up at Month 4 and progressed too aggressive and too fast, so we hesitantly chose to put him down. He was an old dog that lived a good life.

Sorry to hear of your loss… pups are always hard to lose. We’ve lost a few over the last 70 years.

Welcome to the group

Dik

For $100, I’d have told you the same thing… hope your pet improved… and, welcome to this group.

Dik

$1200 for emergency surgery due to Pyometra which is a bacterial infection of the uterus. Her Uterus was completely full of infection and was within hours of bursting. It would have killed her… I am happy to say she is doing very well today and is back to our Old English Bulldog self… grumpy, playful-ish, lazy etc…