Windows Notepad

I have a habit of breaking software.
Obviously, all the software I write is broken. So I don’t do that often.
Then there is the software I use long after its expiry date, so it’s broken.
I am also the guy that takes those week-long training courses with professional software packages like ANSYS and Autodesk and Solidworks, and every time I go, something breaks and I put the instructor on the spot saying “I’ve never seen it do THAT before”.

But the other day came as a really big surprise, when, of all things that could be broken on my workstation, it was… Notepad.

It took a while to convince somebody in IT that a problem existed (and, yeah, that it wasn’t “PEBKAC”, you know).

Here’s my IT guy, accessing my workstation remotely, trying to reinstall Notepad and having no luck (see the little error on the left).

I shrugged and walked away from my workstation for a while while he struggled. When I came back, he had completely deleted my user profile and started me up with a totally new user profile. Now THAT broke a lot of other software. All my personalization settings in Office and CAD programs, gone. And Notepad still doesn’t work.

At least I like to use Notepad++ from time to time, and it’s filling the gap (though it’s like swatting a fly with a hammer.) So I kinda wish I hadn’t put that ticket into IT to fix Notepad, and just gone on with Notepad++.

1 Like

Birds of a feather . . .

More than once, I’ve been passed to the “senior IT guy” to solve my problem, only to be told, “here’s a work around” or “here’s a software on our bookshelf that almost does what the old software won’t”. Sigh!

Most engineers abandoned some really neat DOS programs we have/had as we marched from W3 to W7 to W10 over the last 2 decades. Not I! I got our VP to twist IT’s arm and let me install and use vDOS, which isn’t perfect, but runs >98% of the old DOS programs we had. It has a hard time with color graphics. If I had had the source code I would have converted it to Python and everybody would be running it on W10 Enterprise now, but . . . it wasn’t meant to be.