Coronavirus

Thank you BT, that helps.

FIL went to ER last night for a non-COVID-19 reason. He will be admitted today and will get a room. As you would imagine, the hospital has some restrictions in place. Such as, there is one, and only one, designated visitor. Once the DV goes in, if they go out, they cannot re-enter. Ever. No second DV. Period.

There are no confirmed cases of COVID-19 at this hospital yet.

It will likely get more restrictive.

Dik

Latexman, I hope that your FIL gets healthy and doesn’t pick up something new.

I would not want to need to go to a hospital right now. Best of luck to your FIL.

Concur… All the best.

Dik

Thanks folks! He’s been discharged. It was diverticulosis. A couple days on a clear liquid diet and it’s clearing up. Surprisingly, they gave no antibiotics, even after being questioned about it.

Clear liquid diet… Scotch?

Dik

2 Likes

The old expression… it’s not that people who don’t drink, live longer… life just seems longer.

Dik

1 Like

Turn up your audio.

Dr. Fauci for POTUS!!!

My son’s lawyer friend sent me this earlier. Notice how Mike steps in front of Fauci to make sure Fauci facial expressions are obscured.

I can see the fatalities in the states being similar to Italy due to being unprepared.

With Dotard Trump, you have a real problem at your end.

Dik

POTUS has a “gut feeling” that getting back to business about Easter time will be fine. I suspect he’s having PHB and Wally-like trust your gut moments:

4 Likes

A new website with more up to date data than John Hopkins… looks like the Americans will be #1, maybe by tomorrow.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

Dik

They are #1, now… and 4 deaths per million as opposed to 2 deaths per million for China… and it will get worse.

Next award is for body count… we know you can do it (With apologies to Country Joe).

Dik

Some thoughts about USA being #1:

Do we trust the numbers coming out of China? They weren’t honest in the beginning, why should we assume they’re being honest now? The Chinese Communists have to protect their image.
here was a story on Fox yesterday that the number of urns being shipped to Wuhan suggests otherwise.

In China, if the government says shelter in place the people have no choice but to obey their Communist masters. Over here, look at how people were/are ignoring the social distancing rules, particularly the college kids on Spring break. Yesterday, in the NY Daily News, the mayor of NYC, said people should forget what he said about ignoring social distancing. A little over two weeks ago he was brushing off the pandemic. In early February, the NYC health commissioner and several council members said nothing to worry about. They even said it was racist to avoid Chinatown.

Yes… they were hedgy at the very beginning, but only after a few days did they advise the WHO of the potential issue. They effectively contained it, giving the world a month for preparation. This was squandered by the Western governments, Canada included.

I suspect they are being pretty honest and would put their honesty far above that of the Donald. The mess we have on our hands is of our own making.

Politically, China is forging ahead. It is offering PPE equipment to the rest of the world. Canada was just the recipient of a bunch of stuff.

The difference between Canadian and American health care is apparent. The US has 8 deaths per million of population while Canada and China have 2 deaths per million. A sobering thought, the US has the potential of going the way of Italy with 178 deaths per million.

I review news on nearly a dozen news orgs daily… Fox is not one of them.

The US now has about 60K more victims than China.

Catch the links:

Dik

dik,

There’s plenty of blame to go around. I don’t trust what the CCP Is saying or doing. They have to protect their evil empire. Maybe you should look at Fox; they back up what they say. As Warner Wolf ( an old time NYC sports reporter) used to say “let’s go to the videotape”.

I did, and promptly dismissed it…

Dik

1 Like

to each his own :grinning: I like Fox because it is fair and balanced; no ideological slant. Sure, you know where Sean Hannity’s loyalties are but he can can back up what he says. Before Fox, I used to watch CNN & MSNBC. I liked Bernie Shaw; even Blitzer wasn’t bad. Inside Politics was a good show. Unfortunately both networks have de-volved considerably. Now their so-called journalists are nothing but a bunch of sophists, and poor sophists at that with a collective IQ less than a bag or rocks. Thomas Aquinas could rip them apart in his sleep.

In Pennsylvania the governor shut all liquor stores about two weeks ago. We don’t have any sports, any gambling, movies, etc, at least let people drink; you got to have some vices. I recall a story about the Battle of Stalingrad. Despite the massive losses to the Red Army, there was an army unit that never reported any casualties. Stalin wanted the CO decorated believing they were successful. When the emissary arrived from Moscow, he found that nearly everyone was dead. He asked the CO what was going on. The CO replied “I didn’t want to lose the vodka rations!”