Coronavirus

This was a posting on another web site made by me on Jan26, 2020.
We had lots of warning and chose not to take advantage of it… It was in response to a comment another member had made… same attitude as your Donald. One of the few legitimate purposes of a government is to look after the long term best interests of the people. Your administration has failed miserably.

[January 26, 2020 at 3:58 pm]

“I never take these modern black death stories seriously.”
It might be time to reconsider your views. An airborne infection has the potential of killing most inhabitants on earth. We are living in huge population centres where closeness is a way of life. We have numerous methods of travelling large distances in a short period of time. We have caused the development of numerous antibiotic resistant organisms.

Other than the vector, the last three items can really complicate and exacerbate a pandemic.
The last item to mention… and the foundations for it are related to Climate Change. The downside of doing nothing is far worse than the downside of being in error.
Another ‘feature’ to add to the list of reasons why the coronavirus is so dangerous. From the BBC:
“A new coronavirus that has spread to almost 2,000 people is infectious in its incubation period – before symptoms show – making it harder to contain, Chinese officials say.”

Dik

Is there any more news on the antibody test kits?

Last I heard they are in production and may be a few weeks. I’ve heard that there is one for Africa that is not licensed here that will be available shortly, but cannot be used in the Americas. The cost for this latter test is less than $1 per test. Bill Gates is apparently involved.

The rate of US fatalities is now 5x that of Canadian…

It’s the availability of testing that has allowed some of the Asian countries to get on top of the pandemic. The US really fell down with testing and is presently not up to speed; they will suffer for this.

Dik

Have any of you thought about how this virus came about?

I have, a little.

Basically, some culture out in the world believes the myth that medical formulations made from Pangolin scales are able to pass through and clear blockages in the meridians (paths) that supposedly conduct qi (life force) through the body. This myth created a market, which created the opportunity for a human to catch a virus from a Pangolin.

All this pain and suffering and death over a myth. Is that what you think may have happened?

Possible.
Here is a link originally posted by Alistair Heaton on ET concerning the possible Pangolin link.

1 Like

from the BBC…

Two groups of coronaviruses related to the virus behind the human pandemic have been identified in Malayan pangolins smuggled into China, said lead researcher Dr Tommy Lam of The University of Hong Kong.

“Although their role as the intermediate host of the SARS-CoV-2 outbreak remains to be confirmed, sale of these wild animals in wet markets should be strictly prohibited to avoid future zoonotic [animal to human] transmission,” he told BBC News.

Bats also contain coronaviruses, which are closer still to the human virus, except in one key area - the part that helps the virus invade cells.

“This tells us that viruses that look pretty adapted to humans are present in wildlife,” said co-researcher, Prof Edward Holmes of the University of Sydney. “Bats are certainly involved, pangolins may be, but it is very possible that other animal species are involved as well.”

Some cultures eat weird things.

Dik

US appears on similar trajectory to Italy, warns Vice-President Pence

Looks like your VP is coming up to speed… about a month too late.

Dik

Pangolin scales are a delicacy in some communities.

and with 4 oz. of milk are a good dietary source of protein. :rofl:

Dik

The US has now taken over as the country with the highest number of new deaths.

Dik

IF . . . it’s found the pangolin was a source for COVID-19, there must be stricter regulations with enforcement put in place. Currently, sales of pangolin in China is forbidden, but they are smuggled in. Based on what has happened, a death penalty for smuggling pangolin seems appropriate. Again, IF it’s found they were a source of the virus.

Conscience/ethics has no place, when there’s a buck to be made… almost reminds me of home. The ‘crooks’ at the top are pretty much isolated from prosecution… just like at home, and also from execution.

Dik

Bats are back in the Chinese food market. Remember they were the prime carriers for this epidemic.

They’re not sure what the vector was… they suspect it may be bats or pangolins. The critters have similar sequencing…

Dik

They do need to drill down to the start of this pandemic, find out how it came about, and put corrections in place. I would think WHO would be the Ram Rod, and the CDC’s of several nations to help out.

There is no direction or leadership at the top.

Dik

Shenzhen bans eating cats and dogs

" It comes after the coronavirus outbreak was linked to wildlife meat, prompting Chinese authorities to ban the trade and consumption of wild animals.

Shenzhen went a step further, extending the ban to dogs and cats. The new law will come into force on 1 May.

Thirty million dogs a year are killed across Asia for meat, says Humane Society International (HSI)."

It appears that there may be a connection… similar DNA sequences. Proof not conclusive yet.

I recall one of the jokes at the Vietnam war period, “New Vietnamese cookbook, “How to Wok your Dog”.” Pangolins, like rino are protected.

Dik

I saw a reference to pangolin scales being used as an ingredient of Chinese traditional medicine.
If true, it is somewhat ironic that traditional medicine has been responsible for such a threat to the health of the world.

1 Like

Ironic… and tragic at the same time.

Dik