Coronavirus

The site has a couple of new columns:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

Total Tests

Tests/ 1M

Dik

The US is up to about 1500 fatalities today… usually about 1000 at this time… things might be ramping up.

Dik

I think that Canada got off to a slow start because we didn’t realize the gravity of the situation.
I was at first upset that the Minor Hockey Provincial Championships were cancelled.
Now I understand that it was warranted.
In our area, the stores that are open have floor markings to delineate appropriate social distances.
Most of the stores have plastic barriers installed at the checkouts to protect the cashiers.
I see the card reader keypads being wiped down after each customer.
At one store I was stopped at the door by a polite young lady who told me that the store was at the maximum number of customers and could i please come back in a little while.
I explained that I was there to pick up a purchase.
The nice young woman was back in a short time and handed me our purchase.
It is COVID related. A new computer for mu son’s online classes.
Contrast with the POTUS who is not getting with the program.
It has to do with his attitude.
He puts his self interest ahead of medical advice.
He has been and still is disrespecting and downplaying sound medical advice.
There is a lag between the time of exposure until a resulting death that skews the statistics,
but the US is running between 3.5 /1 and 4/1 the deaths per 1m pop ahead of Canada.
Earlier today we were at 9/37 we just jumped to 10/37 deaths per 1m pop.

Our government screwed up badly and are playing ‘catch up’. People are dying for their mishandling of the pandemic. The consequences of overreacting are far less onerous than doing nothing.

The US is at 38 deaths per million and Canada is at 10 per million. The difference is largely due to the different approach Canada took to closing things off (One southern governor just reopened their beaches to the public). Our health care has a real impact on this… there will be a lot of people in the states with staggering medical bills before the smoke clears.

Dik

" FLATTENING OF THE CURVE". says POTUS

You don’t really believe him… his eyes are brown… his actions are killing Americans…

Check: https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Click on US, to see how the curve is flattening. If you rotate it 90 degrees, it is going downhill…

Dik

The US has now overtaken Italy for total number of coronavirus deaths. It is now #1.

Dik

That’s an irrelevant statistic, we have more than 5x the population of Italy. Anyway, I’m willing to bet dollars to donuts that China has way more deaths than the US.

Italy is largely out of the problem… the US is just entering. From any data I’ve seen (and I don’t know the truth of it) the US is far ahead of China…

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

This is largely due to their inaction (they wasted two months the Chinese gave them) and quality of health care for all the people (Cuba has a lower infant mortality rate than the US).

Added, from the CNN:

Certified registered nurse anesthetist Derrick Smith is no stranger to the horrors of losing patients. But now, the coronavirus pandemic has pushed him into a completely different, “much more terrifying” reality.

Smith, who is predominantly treating Covid-19 patients at a hospital in New York City, revealed the tragic last words of a dying man he was about to place on a ventilator: “Who’s going to pay for it?” the coronavirus patient asked Smith in between labored breaths.

“They were last words I’ll never forget,” Smith told CNN.

Catch the link:

and look at the linear data and not the logarithmic… the US is way ahead of the rest of the world… a programmer buddy of mine noted that not closing the country off, and leaving it to the states, was like having a ‘peeing area’ in a public pool.

Dik

Maybe the mistake here was not stopping travel from Europe sooner. Yesterday, there was a news report that NY University researchers discovered that most of the CV cases here came via Europe.

Based on what was known in January, Trump did the prudent thing by stopping travel from China - for which he branded a racist by China, WHO, the Democrat Party and the media allies. In NY state and NYC, the officials ignored things until the middle of March. Meanwhile, the city has 1/8th the population of Italy but slightly more cases than Italy, and it’s been rising by about 6,000 per day.

Really big error…The effect of his stopping those from China was minimal at best. He allowed traffic from Europe until a month ago. None of the New York fatalities had Chinese strains and all were from Europe. He put business ahead of American lives, and continues to do so.

From the New York Times…

New research indicates that the coronavirus began to circulate in the New York area by mid-February, weeks before the first confirmed case, and that it was brought to the region mainly by travelers from Europe, not Asia.

Dik

We agree on something finally. He relied on the available information at the time. When he announced that he was stopping travelers from Europe he took a lot of $#!+ for that as well. However, the research that found the major spread of the virus was by people coming from Europe wasn’t fully known until recently.

Again, throughout February and into the second week of March NY state and city officials we’re telling us there wasn’t anything to be concerned with; people should go on with life as normal. Maybe if they weren’t so focused on identity politics, the problem there wouldn’t be so out of hand. Meanwhile, my mother passed away on 4/2 -not CV related - and I couldn’t return for the service.

I’m not sure we agree… He did not rely on the best information available at the time… only his selfish agenda. His restrictions on travel, and only directed at China were minimal at best… and misdirected as the outcome of his restrictions come to light.

He didn’t do his job or provide direction… something he still hasn’t done. As a consequence of his lack of action, many hundred New Yorkers likely lost their lives. Business first, at any expense. Many of those that died were the more disadvantaged… and likely Democrats, anyway…

from the BBC:

The US “could have saved lives” if it had introduced measures to stop Covid-19 earlier, a top health official says.

“If we had, right from the beginning, shut everything down, it may have been a little bit different,” Dr Anthony Fauci told CNN. But he said making that decision was complicated.

Coronavirus.pdf (718.4 KB)

Dik

I’ve been thinking about the current situation.
Haven’t we all.
My train of thought drifted off to my long term beliefs and my inability at times to remember my core beliefs or to recognize the implications when faced with short term situations.
I believe that we are all in this life together and our collective interests are best met when we pull together.
This can be summed up with the word “Unity”.
Family unity.
Community unity.
Inclusion rather than exclusion.
City unity.
State or provincial unity.
Country unity.
Continental unity.
World unity.
I remember reading a science fiction story about an invader from space.
Finally, faced with a common enemy, the peoples of the world started to work together and were forced to forget their prejudices and enmities.
Only with the complete unity of the peoples of the world was the invader able to be repulsed.
Just a science fiction story.
But what if?
What if Covid 19 persists beyond the projections of the medical community and becomes a catalyst that starts the process of global unity?
Every body talks about world peace but nobody ever does anything about it.
(Well maybe not everyone)
Maybe Covid 19 has the possibility to start us on the first step.
Hey, I don’t for a minute suggest that Covid 19 will be the end of armed conflict in our time.
Maybe, though it may give us a demonstration of the value of unity.
Even if the result is a little less polarization between political views and a little more acceptance of opposing points of view it may be a silver lining of sorts.
(Even a pewter lining would be better than nothing.)
Does anyone else have any thoughts about unity?

“$#!+” ? No. That was just fake news. Easy to ignore.

Certainly not fake news

In light of the recent NYU study indicating the worst of CV came here via Europe, it looks like he did the right thing.

In January, the eminent Dr. Fauci had a different opinion:

As Warner Wolf would say “Let’s go to the video tape”

As I’ve repeated before, in March NY state and city officials were still telling people to go about the lives as usual

Is stopping travelers ineffective at this point? Here in Pennsylvania, Governor Tom Wolf (D) is telling travelers from out of state to self-quarantine for 14 days. Yesterday, I took a drive and on I-80 there are signs up to this effect.

The visitors have to be stopped to prevent the spread of the coronovirus… no simple way… if they don’t do it themselves, they have to be compelled to. They also have to be tested… both of which are not happening.

If Fauchi made that statement, he’s simply wrong… as the current condition clearly show. He may be influenced by his ‘boss’… not that others haven’t.

The New York Times had a quite damning report on Trump’s actions? some would use the term inactions… Donald’s inactions are responsible for the deaths of thousands of Americans, it would appear. The guy’s a self-centred monster…

Catch the link:

Dik

There can’t be unity without first acknowledging truth. Will COVID-19 change the world - of course it will. Will it bring about world peace - no. Evil will always exist. The absence of war isn’t the same as peace.

Will any good come from this experience - of course. Perhaps some businesses will pull up stakes in China and knock the CCP down a few notches. BTW, they’re still sandbagging the world:

However, I think it will be in more subtle ways. Perhaps we’ll rethink negative opinions we had of others; perhaps we’ll find reward in going out of our way to help others; things like that. Very few people are capable of monumental deeds that will change the world. It’s the little things we can do that are most effective.